Monday, September 7, 2009

On Work and Leisure: Happy Labor Day!


It's Labor Day - So to honor that holiday, where we take a break from our labors, and pay homage to the working man, I present a selection of quotes from one of my many electronic books, this one titled:
101 Reasons Not To Do Anything -A Collection of Cynical & Defeatist Quotations


If I were a medical man, I should prescribe a holiday to any patient who considered his work important.
Bertrand Russell


There is one piece of advice, in a life of study, which I think no one will object to; and that is, every now and then to be completely idle, – to do nothing at all.
Sydney Smith - Sketches of Moral Philosophy


Leisure is the mother of Philosophy.
Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan iv, 46


There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.
Mary Wilson Little


Procrastination – the art of keeping up with yesterday.
Don Marquis


Work is the scythe of time.
Napoleon Bonaparte, 1815


Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do.
Oscar Wilde


Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow just as well.
Mark Twain - The Late Benjamin Franklin


My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don’t deny it. I’d rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh – anything but work.
Abraham Lincoln


Hard work has never killed anyone, but it frightens some people half to death.
Aldous Huxley


By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.
Robert Frost


They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure: why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan


If people really liked to work, we’d still be ploughing the land with sticks and transporting goods on our backs.
William Feather


Anybody who works is a fool. I don’t work, I merely inflict myself on the public.
Robert Morley


Work is the only dirty four-letter word in the language.
Abbie Hoffman - Harpers Magazine, 1970


Happy Labor Day Everyone!

No comments: